Want to try a class? Not sure if you need to register with a partner? Wondering what clothes are best suited to swing dancing? Before you send us an email, take a look below - you might find the answer you're looking for nice and quickly!!
We made some adjustments in our offer to align with the government prescriptions with regard to the Covid-19 epidemic:
- We start from the principle: everyone can participate, unless they (themselves or a family member) is or was sick, or they belong to a risk group.
- Until further notice, no partner rotation is allowed. Avoid also contact with another group.
- It is advised to register with a dance partner as we give priority to registrations in couple. You might find one within your circle of friends or acquaintances or you can look for one on our Facebook page.
- A pairing might be possible if you register alone, we could integrate you, but you will not know in advance who will be your partner for all the session.
- The groups can’t cross.
- You must wash your hands before you enter, and both before and after any visits to the toilet. Please bring your handgel.
- At every single course you will have to cross ✅ your name on the participant list. We are required to keep a list during 14 days for the contact tracing.
- Wear a mask upon entry, upon leaving, when walking through the dance room and when the social distancing cannot be kept. When you dance wearing a mask or not is at your own choice, it is not mandatory to wear.
- Keep a distance of minimum 1,50 meters with your class mates and teachers.
- Avoid contact surfaces or disinfect after use.
- Are you sick, do you have fever? Please stay at home. (No reimbursement in case you are in quarantaine or you are tested positive to Corona and cannot attend class. Your partner is still welcome to the class and can dance on his own (solo)).
- We are following the official codes, updates and measures of ADEPS. Please find the link here if you want to read more info. At the moment we are in yellow code.
- In case a new lock down will happen or we can’t give classes for any other reason, we will postpone the missed classes or start later with this session.
Any questions? Send us an email and we will be happy to help you!
Can I try a class?
Yes! If you have a partner and the class is not full, you can try an hour class for €12, or an 1h15 class for €15. If you wish to join the whole session, the cost of the first class will be deducted from the total course cost.
I have no dance partner. What should I do?
During the class we do rotate partners, so you don’t need to register with one. However, we are aiming for a balance of Leads and Follows in each class, meaning that if we have too many people registered in any one role, you may be placed on a waiting list. When enough dancers of the other role register so that the numbers are balanced, we will contact you to confirm your registration.
ATTENTION: Due to the Covid-19 situation, read the FAQ " Corona adjustment"
Do we change partners during the class?
Due to the Covid-19 situation:
Contrary to the principles of Apollo Swing believing that a change of partner is beneficial in the learning process, a change of dance partner during the classes will no longer be possible.
What clothes and shoes should I wear during a class?
Anything you feel comfortable in!
Clothing-wise, some people like to bring an extra T-shirt - it might get sweaty!
Shoes should be comfy and have a bit of flexibility. Some dancers opt for sneakers, while others like leather-soled shoes - as long as it’s comfy, you’ll learn what you like over time.
I have a lot of other dance experience. Can I skip the beginner level?
We still recommend you take the beginner classes. We find that experience in other dances doesn’t necessarily mean that you will learn swing dance more easily - especially when it comes to understanding the basics. There are a lot of fundamentals in the body movement, rhythm and partner connection that aren’t shared by most other dance styles. If we see that you pick it up quickly, you may be moved up to another level once you have a firm grasp of the basics (provided the leader/follow ratio in class allows this).
Leading? Following? Huh? What does that mean?
Lindy Hop and Shag are partner dances. This means that, generally speaking, we have a leader - who initiates the movements - and a follower - who chooses how to respond. Whichever role you choose is up to you, and depends on what you think you’ll feel most comfortable with. Some of our instructors specialise in both roles, so don’t necessarily expect to see a typical Male-Female partner dynamic! However; when you register for a course, please choose one role and stick with that for the semester.
The semester of classes has started already! Can I still join?
For beginners: It is still possible to join from the second class. If you wish to start after that, we suggest you contact us - depending on whether you have past experience, and what the class balance is like, it may be possible to join. Taking private classes to catch up on repertoire may also be an option.
For all other levels: You may join at any time, given that you have contacted us, and that the class is still able to accept someone in your role. Based on your experience we can help to direct you towards the class most suited to you, and after your first lesson, our teachers can then confirm whether or not this placement is appropriate.
Is it possible to follow two levels of classes?
Yes, it is possible, but always ask the teachers first.
If you take an additional class in the same dance style, you will benefit from a 50% discount.
If your second class is in another dance style, you will benefit from a 30% discount on the second class.
If you take a third class, you will benefit from a 30% discount on that class.
LH 100% + LH 50% Discount
LH 100% + Solo 30% Discount
LH 100% + LH 50% Discount + Solo 30% Discount
LH 100 % + Solo 30 % Discount + Shag 30 % Discount
What happens if I’m on the waiting list?
At Apollo, we try to keep the number of leads and follows in our Lindy Hop and Shag classes as balanced as possible. This means that although it is possible to register without a partner, when you do, you’ll be placed on the waiting list. As soon as you can be paired with another lead or follow, you’ll be taken off the waiting list and notified by email. This can sometimes happen last minute - just before the start of lessons, or even during the first week of classes. Just a reminder that just because you’re paired with someone for the balance of classes, it doesn’t mean you have to dance with that person all the time - we rotate partners in class!
ATTENTION: Due to the Covid-19 situation, read the FAQ " Corona adjustment"!
My dance partner can’t make it to class this week - can I still join?
Of course! We anticipate that people will need to occasionally miss classes. It’s important that you attend classes as often as possible so you’re caught up with the material in the course - perhaps you can even use what you learn to help your partner catch up between classes!
ATTENTION: Due to the Covid-19 situation, you will not be able to dance with another partner but you are welcome to dance alone and follow the class.
Am I too old to dance or follow classes?
You’re never too old to dance! Of course it’s important that you take care of your body and respect its needs, but Lindy Hop is a dance open to people of all ages. Some of the original Whitey’s Lindy Hoppers were still teaching class in their 90s!! If you do have a medical issue that we should take into account, please let your teachers know at class.